Linguistics student, libre-culture & libre-software activist, often writer, sometimes coder
What I do
- I am pursuing a BA in English Language and Literature (currently preparing for my 4th year), and I hope to continue specialising in Linguistics at a Masters level
- I am engaged with Linguistics research above and beyond what's required for a BA student
- I regularly contribute to online and print publications with articles about Linguistics, and political aspects of technology
- I occasionally hack together small libre-software projects, as I am currently teaching myself programming
- My work is always released in the commons, using suitable copyleft licenses such as the GPL and CC-BY-SA
Why I need your help
- I am working two part-time jobs while being a full-time student and a full-time activist: I'd like to afford being able to work less so I can focus on my studies and research more
- Initially I hope I can earn enough donations to pay for my web hosting expenses
- As a mid-term goal, I wish to be able to afford to participate in linguistics conferences and workshops without worrying about how I can pay rent this month
What have I done lately
- Among other articles, I wrote The Data Union: A positive step in the wrong direction, an editorial on a local online magazine
- I coded id3-unicodify.py, a copylefted Python 3 script that tries to autofix audio metadata stored in the wrong encoding
- I created a Cypriot Greek XKB layout and a Cypriot Maronite Arabic XKB layout for GNU/Linux users
- Together with a colleague, we presented a sociolinguistics research project at a conference and on local radio
dkr, a Linguistics student and Free Culture/Free Software advocate from Cyprus.
I'm particularly interested in how language is implemented in the brain, its relation to cognition, and how language varies (or doesn't) across modalities.
I'm a staunch supporter of preserving and enriching knowledge commons, and I believe that freedom-respecting software is an indispensable component of this struggle.
dkr se přidal před 4 lety.